Why Cats Are Better Than Dogs

If you have any doubt that cats are better than dogs, please take a few minutes to do the following:

1. Sit in a comfy chair in a warm room with a cup of your favorite hot beverage.

2. Read the classic Jack London short story To Build a Fire, a harrowing account of a man and a dog struggling to survive in extreme cold weather.

3. Read Darla’s (She’s a Maineiac) Tales From the Ice Storm of 1998 (part 1 and part 2), a hilarious account of a woman and a cat struggling to survive in extreme cold weather.

I rest my case.

41 comments on “Why Cats Are Better Than Dogs

1. blooper0223 says:

I concur … as I brush off the layer of cat hair on my shirt. ;-)

2. That link was hilarious. And harrowing. And I’m undecided on the cat/dog thing.

3. I miss cats. I have to stop marrying guys who are allergic to cats. Yep. On #2…

4. Karen says:

Change #2 to watch Lassie, and the dog people cheer.
    Change #2 to watch Homeward Bound, and everybody wins!
    I wholeheartedly concur on #1 and #3.

I think the cat people still win with Lassie. Darla’s much smarter than Timmy, which says something about the relative intelligence of cat people vs. dog people.

5. Elyse says:

Nope. Sorry. Cats don’t care if you come home. They don’t love you the way a dog does. Sorry, Laura, I am unconvinced.

But the ice thing might be a plus for the cat. I have to admit I thought Darla would have taken Conan out of the carrier so that he could pull her up the hill like a husky. But then when I saw that Darla had to do all the work, well, I decided that I am right.

Dogs rule.

6. Gail says:

My god, Laura, she’s (gasp!) as funny as you are.

Of course, if she’d had a CAMP STOVE, she and her cat could have enjoyed coffee at home and avoided the whole harrowing ordeal…

(And of course, dogs – MY dog, anyway – are far superior to cats.)

7. Snoring Dog Studio says:

Still not convinced. Darla – being the unique and marvelous person she is has an equally unique and marvelous cat.

8. MissSteele says:

Ha! This is a great point. I remember reading ‘To Build a Fire’ in high school and I still remember the end of the depressing story with the dog. I love both cats and dogs, though.

When I was writing this post, I found out that there are actually two versions of this story. The one everyone knows is the second version. The earlier version was written for younger readers and has a very different ending (and no dog).

• MissSteele says:

What? How did I not know this? Well, that’s good to know in case I stumble into a conversation where someone talks about how sweet the ending was in ‘To Build a Fire’ and I immediately assume they are a sociopath.

9. Dana says:

I grew up with cats but have since been partial to dogs. (Disclaimer: I’m a sucker for external validation and obvious displays of affection. Enough with the aloofness of cats!)

What great suggestions! Except I’m not quite sure how they prove that cats are better than dogs….?

If you read both stories and compare the outcomes, you’ll find that the person in the cat story fares somewhat better than the person in the dog story.

11. I have to admit as much as I adore cats (and I’ve had three amazing cats in my life) I am also a big dog lover. However, I really doubt I would have been able to haul a giant dog carrier up that hill and I obviously would have died.

12. Hahah, I love your blog already. Cats are the best! As I sit here and write this my two cuddly ones are hovering over the computer trying to catch the letters as they appear.

13. tinkerswan says:

Haha :) that’s so true

14. Alex says:

Haha I’ll have to try both these books !! I’m in negotiation with my daughter about which pet to get. She is desperate for a dog :)