Well, That Was Disappointing

Super-duper moon: Galileo picture of the Moon, from solarsystem.nasa.gov

I was pretty excited when I found out there would be a Supermoon Saturday night. With everything going on in the world right now, a celestial superhero seemed like just what we needed. When all was said and done, however, the Supermoon turned out to be a huge disappointment. As far as I can tell, it didn’t solve any of the world’s problems. In fact, it didn’t do much of anything; it just sat there, up in the sky.

Before any of you astronomy buffs rush off to post angry comments: yes, I admit I was engaging in a bit of hyperbole. The Supermoon didn’t “sit there”; it orbited the Earth. Which could have been really cool and useful, if it had orbited really really fast and turned back time the way Superman did in the first Superman movie, which I haven’t seen in a long time but am pretty sure was a documentary. But no, the Supermoon just orbited at regular Moon speed. And yes, that makes the tides come in and the tides go out, but the regular Moon could have handled that.

Speaking of which — did anyone else notice that when the Supermoon was out, the regular Moon was nowhere to be seen? And that, in fact, no one has ever seen the regular Moon and the Supermoon at the same time? And that the Supermoon looks exactly like the regular Moon, only bigger? I mean, come on — at least when Superman disguised himself as Clark Kent, he wore glasses. Seriously, Supermoon, just how stupid do you think we are?

Tagged with: , , , ,
34 comments on “Well, That Was Disappointing
  1. Heidi Gillen says:

Super moon hid behind super clouds here. I didn’t even get to see it. What a jerk.

2. Win says:

A friend put it best: “Kind of disappointed that it doesn’t look like a giant disco ball shooting laser beams.”

3. From where I live, Super Moon wasn’t really that super. :S

4. cris says:

yup – i was disappointed with the supermoon, too. it’s just that i know i’ve seen a moon before that was REALLY big and, well, SUPER, before. so i guess my expectations were too high…

5. Ha-ha! You obviously do not fish. Every angler I know was at the seaside this weekend, because as my husband tells me a normal full moon is good for fishing, but a Supermoon is just totally awesome! I was not quite as convinced, so stayed home.

The Supermoon was quite amazing here in South Africa. It was a beautiful, cloudless night and the moon was extremely bright. You could walk around outside without a torch and see very clearly. Going to sleep with that much light was a bit of an issue though . . .

6. shreejacob says:

It rained here! I feel like demanding a refund!!
    Enjoyed your take on supermoon! :)

…and no cape. everything super has a cape.

8. Rico Swaff says:

Freaking Iowa. I had no idea that a Super Moon was coming until reading this post.

9. Chelle B. says:

The only super moon I saw was on a Remi Gaillard YouTube video. It was too cloudy here by Yellowstone. :(

To make up for it, though, the grizzly bears are waking up – just in time for tourist season. :)

I’d never heard of Remy Gaillard before. Now I have to go watch some videos. Meanwhile, you should make up some “Grizzly Chow” t-shirts and sell them to tourists.

10. LOTGK says:

When the supermoon makes an appearance, the regular moon disguises itself.

As Kirstie Alley.

Coincidence that Dancing With Stars premiered during the week long exposure of the supermoon. Coincidence! I think not.

Regular moon hides behind supermoon because it doesn’t want to be embarrassed by the comparison, but I think even regular moon is actually pretty super.

12. Spaz says:

I’m pretty sure that if the moon or superman did that earth backwards think, it would just tear the planet apart and we’d all be dead.

Just saying.

13. aquatom1968 says:

My Supermoon was super! Very large and bright, with a few wispy clouds around it, and surrounded by a moonbow! I’m beginning to think that the moonbow may now have been its disguise…

14. […] for my site for the past week, I have deduced that not only did the supermoon disappoint us by just “sitting there” up in the sky but it also had an effect on cute little […]

15. Janna says:

Our supermoon was bright, but not very big.
    I was hoping for something huge; something that would make me fear for the very future of civilization itself.
    Alas, it was just normal-size and sort of bright, and civilization has continued.

I’d like my money back.

16. Rachael says:

It looked pretty cool from Alaska!
    That’s something.

17. I guess I’m glad the Supermoon didn’t destroy the earth, but I was planning on an apocalypse and quit my job and told everybody what I really thought about them. Now I have to deal with the repercussions.

18. brookeamanda says:

Okay, knowing now that it sucked makes me less pissed that I missed it.