Everyone’s a Critic

In an effort to keep my New Year’s resolution to learn to draw, I’ve done a few practice drawings in the last week or so — and because I’m too lazy to put them away, I’ve been leaving them sitting out around the house. This morning, I woke up to discover that my cats had apparently studied my work during the night and decided to make a few enhancements. I’m not being entirely objective here, and I know they meant well, but still — I don’t really think the cat vomit was an improvement.

Artist's rendering. In real life, my cats look more like cats.

Tagged with: , , ,
40 comments on “Everyone’s a Critic

what’s his/her name? Is s/he currently on a weight watch plan?

I’m not sure which one it was, Holly (15 year old girl cat) or Thunder (7 year old boy cat). Neither one is on a diet. Both cats occasionally eat their food really quickly and then throw up.

2. Kathy says:

Aw, I like your kitty drawing! It’s funny, she looks like my Shadow, strong forehead. I love her profile.

One of our two cats is a fast eater too, and leaves a nice little mess in the middle of the living room carpet. I wanted hardwood flooring for Christmas, but didn’t get it. There’s always next year.

3. Nice looking cat! When I draw a cat, it looks like this:

___^O^
    ^ ^

I’ll have to steal that for next time. I don’t want it to be completely obvious that I’m copying you, though, so I’ll have to do something like this:

^O^___/
      ^ ^

4. El Guapo says:

And yet drawn-cat’s expression shows that he is giving full critical consideration to your art…
    Art imitating life imitating art?

The original “art” was imitating life (or trying to), so it’s more like art imitating life imitating art imitating life. Except that, unfortunate, the cats weren’t exactly “imitating” the art (it’s unfortunate because if they were, I could just draw a bunch of pictures of cats eating their food without complaining and not scratching the furniture).

5. Cats: always willing to help ( they thinks they are experts on everything…just look at their demeanor)

6. Whitney Soup says:

i think that is a fine looking drawing of a cat! if you want, you should add a conversation bubble, “I’m a cat!” that’s what i do when i draw. :) (i’m being completely serious.)

7. Nice drawing!

Cats think vomit makes everything better – drawings, shoes, suitcases. Oliver, a.k.a He Who Tosses His Tuna, never just uses the floor.

8. Definite Thurberesque quality to your cat. I like Thurber. In fact, as a slightly-early birthday present, my wife just bought me a book of his I’d never heard about: The 13 Clocks, with an introduction by Neil Gaiman. (Unfortunately, the illustrations aren’t by Thurber; at the time he wrote the book his eyesight was too bad to allow him to draw.)

Cats are harsh critics. Can you ever please a cat? And if you did, would they let you know?

10. Jo says:

The good news being that the cat deigned to notice your artwork? Nah. Doesn’t work for me, either.

11. I love your drawing, Laura!
    And that’s a very talented cat… mine has yet to learn how to confine her ‘various messes’ to only one room let alone take out a designated target!

12. Nora Blithe says:

My cat vomited this morning. I thought he didn’t feel good but I see now that he’s an artist!

13. I’m also trying to improve my drawing ability this year. I’m not yet ready to aspire to drawing a cat. Right now I’m concentrating on drawing hammers.

14. Laura says:

I hope you’re able to branch out soon. You know what they say — if all you can draw is a hammer, everything looks like a picture of a nail.

15. susielindau says:

I came over to see what the Caption Queen was up to. I was a professional illustrator back in my first life before kids. I am on my third life now.
    This is very good!
    One trick you can try unless you are kidding all of us and have a MFA is to take a subject that is on paper and draw it upside down. It no longer retains the same realistic qualities and so it is much easier. I wouldn’t try this in real life. Your cat may claw you.

Ha! No, there’s no MFA hidden up my sleeve. I’ll have to try the upside-down trick. One thing I’ve noticed is that I have a hard time getting proportions right (for example, the poor kitty in the drawing has freakishly short legs).

16. Thanks really not too bad! :-) Have you seen this blog: http://lornaland.wordpress.com/ ?

17. Laura says:

Thanks! I hadn’t seen Lornaland before.

18. niamhsayshi says:

love the picture – your cats sound… great :) !!!

So this is an artist’s rendering of a cat-gacked artist’s rendering?

20. totsymae1011 says:

You’re going to get better and better as the year goes along. You have a steady hand for line drawings. Not all artists have that.